I am nearly in the 3rd trimester and very aware of the need to research and buy some key ‘baby essentials’ including a Pacifier. Given the potential for pacifiers to be a staple in our baby’s life from 0-3 year and living in our baby’s mouth… I wanted to fully understand the latest ‘clean living’ options. Based on my research here are some Key Considerations:
- Materials: For people seeking non-toxic pacifiers there are 2 key options: Silicone & Natural Rubber. Natural rubber is made from the Hevea brasilienis tree (potential for latex allergies). Silicone pacifiers are synthetic.
- Shapes/Types: Most brands offer: Orthodontic and/or Rounded
- Sizes: Multiple size options based on baby’s age in months – age ranges vary by brand.
- How Many Should I Buy? It’s recommended to change pacifiers every 6-8 weeks. If you use 4–5 at over 2–3 years… that easily 50-70 pacifiers!
- Accessories: Pacifier Clip
We decided to go the ‘Natural Rubber“ route and narrowed our consideration set to the following 3 brands:
Founded by: Mother of three
Manufactured In: Italy
- Ecologically sustainable made from natural rubber from the tree Hevea brasiliensis
- Softer than silicone & very hygienic because they are molded in one piece without joints or cracks where dirt and bacteria can accumulate
- Great option to avoid allergy causing substances, artificial color, cancer causing substances, hormone disturbing substances, chemical softeners & Parabens, PVC and phthalates.
Product: offers 2 shapes (see below) both of which offer Orthodontic and/or Rounded nipple. Sizes range: S (0-6mth), M (6-12mth) and L (12 mth up).
- Butterfly pacifier: Cut-out on the top which gives the shield a butterfly shape and more room for baby’s nose
- Original pacifier: Large round shield that gently touches baby’s nose in order to simulate breastfeeding
Other products to check out: Glass Baby Bottles, Natural Rubber Nipples & Teether Toy
Founded By: Hayley Mete a mother of two
Manufactured in: Made in Malaysia and hand-inspected and packaged in the USA.
- Ecopiggy’s Natural Pacifier, Ecopacifier, is made of 100% pure rubber from the rubber tree, Hevea brasillensi.
- Single-piece design ensures no small pieces to gather dirt and germs, and no small pieces means no choking hazards
- Made without the use of chemical softeners (used in silicone pacifiers) or colorants (used in plastic and silicone pacifiers) – BPA-free, PVC-free, Paraben-free, and Phthalate-free.
- Company recommends all pacifiers should be replaced after 6-8 weeks
Product: Available in 2 styles: Orthodontic or Rounded and two sizes: 0-6m or 6m+.
Other products to check out: Calmies EcoTeether, Ecopiggy Baltic Amber + Hazel Wood Necklace, Ecopiggy Baltic Amber Necklace (Polished & Raw).
Founded By: Terese Hoffeldt a mother looking for alternatives to plastics for her daughter
Manufactured in: Southeast Asia (where hevea tree is grown/harvested) – Danish design
Company Claims & Programs:
- 100% natural rubber, completely free from BPA and Phthlates, non-toxic, and compostable (decomposes naturally) so it can be reused to make new products
- A pacifier is only meant to be used for two months before it should be replaced. You should change the pacifier approximately every 8 weeks.
- To encourage ‘upcycling’ (re-use old pacifiers to make something new) Hevea incentives customers to send back used pacifiers by offering 1% discount per Pacifier on their webshop… This means if you send back 8 used pacifiers you get 8% off your next purchase (min. 3 pcs = 3%. Max. 50 pcs = 50%)
Product: Available in 3 shapes (see below) and sizes: Newborn 0-3 and 3+. For babies which like a very big nipple they offer the Star & Moon orthodontic LARGE model.
- Orthodontic Pacifier: multiple design options: Car & Ufo, Flower and Star & Moon
- Crown Round Pacifier: bottle fed babies tend to love a round teat
- Duck Symmetrical Pacifier: similar to the shape of a female breast, recommended for breastfed babies
Other products to check out: Large & Small sizes Baby Glass Bottles, Panda Teether & Rubberwood Rattle.
What I Purchased
All 3 brands have a unique offering and mission. Ultimately, we connected most with Hevea Planet and purchased the: Duck Symmetrical Pacifier for 0-3 months & Star & Moon Orthodontic Pacifier for 3-36 months.