I LOVE rms Beauty. Initially skeptical of this female founded brand … after digging deeper to understand Rose-Marie’s story, the brand’s mission & trialing product I was converted.
A common story for many ‘Clean Living’ brands, Rose-Marie Swift was driven to develop her company after being diagnosed with severe health issues linked to many years working as a make-up artist with conventional beauty brands. In 2004, she ‘sounded the alarm’ on the need for better cosmetic ingredients in her blog arguably making her a pioneer of the ‘Clean Beauty’ movement. Next in 2009, she founded rms beauty (rms = her initials). The brand has kept true to its ‘clean living’ roots as they expand their product offering to meet the needs of the modern day ‘Clean Beauty’ consumer. For example, this week UN” COVER-UP CREAM FOUNDATION launched & Rose-Marie has suggested more launches are imminent.
The base ingredient for most rms formulations is: certified organic, raw coconut oil. Rose-Marie calls it ‘Movie Star Coconut oil’ as its the high quality available and processed without heat or chemicals to preserve nutrients and retain its natural: anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. This base makes her products creamy, easy to apply and help them ‘wear well’ throughout the day. As many of rms’ products are oil based, they offer a line of synthetic brushes that work better with oils compared to natural brushes. I purchased her ‘foundation’ brush designed to mimic skin-to-skin application (aka using your fingers) and highly recommend it.
As ‘Clean Beauty’ customers we should expect/demand transparency from beauty brands; I was pleasantly surprised to see rms disclosing their limited use of FDA approved, food-grade, synthetic color (approximately .5 %) in certain products to get the color intensity desired. In this disclosure, they list the products & colors that have synthetic ingredients so customers can easily avoid if they want.
Coming soon… Youtube video review of some lovely rms products.
Deep Dive on rms beauty
- EWG Rating: Range of 1-6 on 42 products reviewed.
- Founder: Rose-Marie Swift started as a prominent makeup artist who realized her exposure to makeup was making her sick (full story). Founded in 2009, the company celebrates their 10th anniversary this year.
- Mission: Create healthy luxurious beauty means we only use the highest-quality clean ingredients, meticulously sourced and tested for complete purity
- Key Ingredients: Certified organic, raw coconut oil is the base of all rms beauty formulas. Coconut oil is the richest source of lauric acid (also found in mother’s breast milk) known for its: anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties.
- Manufacturing Process: rms beauty avoid heating oils to high temperatures, so that all healing enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants remain intact
- Pro Tips:
- rms beauty products will last +2 years; for best results use within 1 year
- The color ingredient is always listed at the end of formula & is often 5% or less
Other Ways to engage with rms beauty
- ‘Beauty Truth’ Blog: The website was founded in 2004 and could use some updating; however is still a great resource. One of my favorite leanings:
- “When cosmetics industry began, manufacturers and consumers believed the skin was a protective barrier that didn’t allow anything to absorb into the body. Because of this, cosmetics and beauty products have been exempt from Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation. We now know the skin is your body’s largest organ and absorbs much of what is applied to it‘ *http://www.beautytruth.com/the-skin
- Podcasts: the Goop Beauty Podcast recently interviewed Rose-Marie to learn more about rms beauty, defiantly worth checking out.
RMS Products I Think Highly Of
PRESSED BLUSH in Lost Angel: a seductive coral pink with golden undertones
Mascara: A combination of organic plant waxes and select raw minerals allow this emollient mascara to shape lashes and intensify fullness *Volumizing formula contains gluten
LIP SHINE in Honest: A nude, dusty rose. Made with Burti Oil, one of the richest sources of beta-carotene & full of antioxidants, fatty acids and Vitamin A
SKIN2SKIN FOUNDATION BRUSH – Designed to ‘mimic skin to skin application’ with tightly layered swirl pattern (mimics your fingerprint) that effortlessly blends foundation & pressing color into the skin